Stratford Spartans

A place to organise games or just chat GW.... This is an unofficial Society that has been set up by gamers and has not been endoursed by Games Workshop themselves!

Basic Black Templar guide and tactics

Chris
    Chaplain Master

Basic Black Templar guide and tactics

Post  Chris on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:47 am

Hey all! Just throw this out here out of request. I do not claim this to be mine, merely one I found on the Internet.

Enjoy!

I have not seen where someone updated tactics and other for the Black Templars so here is my attempt at it.

Our Drop Pod Assault rules are in the front of the codex, this is important only if your opponent wants to see where it says your drop pods don’t land on impassable terrain or enemy units. (I had one tell me the drop pods for the Space marines were different. And I couldn’t find it at the time.)

Righteous Zeal – This is our greatest asset if used wisely. It can also hurt us if our opponent knows what they are doing with it. It is a MUST move it the unit loses a model. So you can get shot off objectives if you are not careful.

Abhor The Witch – Not really an issue most of the time. We hate psykers. Grey Knights are the exception.

Vows – Are taken by the Emperor’s Champion and benefit the whole army not just him.

• Suffer Not the Unclean to Live – This grants a +1 to Strength at a -1 to Initiative. It has its uses against some opponents but not the best for Tournament lists.

• Uphold the Honour of the Emperor – Units are immune to pinning and get a 6+ invulnerable save. The pinning is interesting but this vow is best when going against high Strength, low AP weapons, and blast weapons with a high AP.

• Abhor the Witch Destroy the Witch – You start the game moving toward the enemy if they have a psyker. It also nullifies psychic powers that target a Black Templar unit. And there are no more minor psychic powers any more. This is ok if you are going against a psyker heavy force. Specifically the guards sanctioned psyker squad. But other than that this one is out of date.

• Accept Any Challenge No Matter the Odds – By far our best option. It grants preferred enemy to the army but not the Neophytes (scouts). This works in any game against any opponent because the enemy army is whomever you are in close combat with. So it works in Appoc games were there are multiple armies.

War gear – we still get to kit out IC and such with weapons from the Armoury. This allows us to grand 4+ invulnerable saves or immune to instant death. As well as others. One of our most interesting options and one I take 99% of the time in the Holy Orb of Antioch. This grenade is great against 3+ armor and can glance any vehicle. Blessed Hull is great for our Land Raiders. It ignores the lance special rull.

HQ Units

Marshal/Castellan – These are the equivalent to chapter masters and captains in other chapters. They grant the army their leadership but that is about it.

Emperor’s Champion (EC) – A requirement at points 750 and over and I would suggest he be taken under that too. He can count as your mandatory HQ if you want but he doesn’t have to. He lets you select a Vow from those listed above. He cannot join a command squad but any other is just fine. I usually end up putting him in a crusader squad to boost their leadership and get him to CC.

Master of Sanctity/Reclusiarch – these are the chaplains of the Black Templar and are our best leadership option. They can direct our Righteous Zeal move at any enemy unit. He also has all the benefits of a standard chaplain. Fearless to the unit, Re-roll failed to hit on the charge. (This is less useful as preferred enemy now grants a re-roll to hit.) but Neophytes can get this re-roll so I usually put them in 20 man squads if I can.

Elite Units

Terminator Squad – Our termie can have two heavy weapons no matter how many guys are in the unit. They also get to take Furious Charge or Tank Hunters for 3 pts a model. After that they are the same as SM termies

Terminator Assault Squad – they can take the special rules like regular termies can. They are best used in t Land Raider Crusader to get them to the fight. If you put Thunder hammer Storm shield on some of them they only get a 4+ invulnerable save in close combat. But the Thunder hammer gives this unit a great boost.

Sword Brethren Squad – The special rules they can get (point cost is already in there price) are Furious Charge, counter-attack, and infiltrate. They are expensive and sometime make their points. They do seem to be targeted over everything else in the army when they are present. They can be kitted out to bring 40 attacks on the charge 4 PW 4 LCs and the rest standard. If do kit them this way I like to add the EC to this squad and get his 4 strength 6 PW attacks added in.

Dreadnought – we can make him venerable which allows us to force a re-roll on the armor damage table. Then if venerable we can give him Furious charge or Tank Hunter.

Tehmarine – He doesn’t get anything special that I am aware of. But I haven’t used a Techmarine in a game of regular 40 in years. Sorry this is one unit I can’t speak on.

Troops

Crusader Squad – This is the unit that makes the BT so cool. Instead of marines and scouts we have one squad with both. Initiates are our marines and Neophytes once again are the scouts. For every marine you can have 1 scout. So you can have a 20 man squad. When allocating wounds there is no armor priority now. You can kill scouts or marines at your discretion. So if you get hit by a unit that does 12 wounds and 3 of them are AP4 the rest are AP 5 you can assign the 9 to the scouts with there 4+ save and the 3 AP4 are up to you, you can kill a scout and take 1 less save on marines or you can try to save the scout for higher AP weapons. The other advantage they have is everyone can swap out their bolter for bolt pistol CCW granting extra attacks in CC. Also if they are 15 or less models they can take a LR crusader as a dedicated transport. Which means it does not take up your heavy support slots. If I put them in LR I do 10 marines and 4 scouts leaving room for the IC.

Transport Vehicles

Rhino – this is the standard rhino nothing crazy here.

Razorback – can only have TL heavy bolter or TL lascannon.

Fast attack

Assault Squad – these guys are cool, expensive, and can all have melta bombs. A 10 man squad of these guys is about the same in CC and a Crusader Squad but when there are tanks and such they can chew through some armor with those bombs. They do attract a lot of attention for this reason.

Land speeder Squadrons – these are not bad if you have extra points in your list and you don’t know how to fill them. They can deep strike and get you a multi-melta shot trying for so tank hunting. They tend to fall quickly because of the armor 10 so you have to hide them till you want to use them.

Bike Squadron – I can tell you from experience the 3 PW are not as cool in practice as they are on paper. 3 melta guns would be the best option. Then you can threaten 18 to 24 inches of table space. 18 is you double strength range. You could also through in an attack bike to get a multi-melta and increase that threat range.

Attack bike Squadron – another squad I haven’t used but 3 multi-meltas would be a juicy target and make for great anti-tank unit.

Heavy Support –

Vindicator – love this tank. Strength 10 AP2 large blast. Short range but we can still put Power of the Machine Spirit on our tanks so he can fire his weapon as long as it is there. Great anti-infantry weapon. Works ok against tanks but the limited range is a problem for that.

Predator Annihilator – the anti-tank verson of the Predator. If you put the lascannon sponsons on you have a lot of strength 9 attacks.

Predator Destructor – the anti-infantry verson of the Predator. It can also do some minor tank hunting with the 2 strength 7 shoots it has.

Land Raider – Same as regular marines. However we get Blessed Hull and out PoMS is not as good and the new marine codex.

Land Raider Crusader – same as the Land Raider and we have 1 less carry capacity than the new marines.

Special Characters – I don’t use them much but that is my Helbrecht in my picture. A friend painted him for me. I find them out dated compared to newer Specials and I can do so much more without them. They are fun in themed games and campaigns. But they are not so hot in tournament play.

Tactics in 5th Edition

I put as many chaplains on the table as I can. They can direct your units around the board and can be made into combat monsters.

Righteous Zeal move. with a chaplain you can move toward any unit so you can back away from some units and try to charge them later. It forces your opponent to know where his troop are.

Crusader seals – Every IC has them and they allow you to re-roll your Righteous Zeal distance. This is great when they are in your squads because the whole squad gets there benefit without having to spend the cost.

I usually run two types of lists, one is armored and one is hoard.

For the armored I put two troop squads in crusaders and one or two in rhinos. The ones in the crusaders are BP CCW and are lead by and IC. The rhino squads have a heavy weapon and are parked on an objective. I usually give those bolters and plasma gun as well.

The hoard is as many 20 man squads as I can get. And two chaplains to lead them. At 2500 I have put in 4 20 man squads. Yes, most armies today can kill one of those in a turn of shooting but I have 4 of them. This is my favorite way to run them just for the novelty of hoard marines but it struggles against armies like the Daemons. What’s fun thought is getting to the enemy lines with 5 or less marines and a chaplain then destroying them. It is especially easy with IG and Tau.

Then I try to have a dreadnought in every list. They are just so good at tank killing and infantry killing.

Then either another elite depending on my mood or some fast attack. But more and more it is the Assault Termies in a crusader. I have an 8 man squad with two TH SH and the rest are LC, also I give them Furious Charge. And with the preferred enemy vow they re-roll to hit and to wound. I do not put a chaplain in this squad because you have to give up either a strength 8 TH attacks or 3-4 LC attacks. He just doesn’t add up the way they do. Assault marines are also an option I use from time to time. I usually send them up one side or the other and try to flank. Or they try to take on a dreadnought. 9 changes to get a melta bomb planted then if they charged 2 PF attacks. The unit I used to use all the time was a 6 termies with 2 assault cannons and tank hunters. But with people going to the BA and Tyranids the assault guys are usually a bigger bang for the buck.

For heavys I almost always take a vindicator. Even if they kill it before I get to shoot he at least took that shot/shots away from my LR’s.

Then I fill points with Landspeeders or another dreadnought.

Any questions or comments are welcome. Thanks for reading
    Kai
    Marshall

Re: Basic Black Templar guide and tactics

Post  Kai on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:22 am

Thanks chris !
    Chris
    Chaplain Master

Post  Chris on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:04 pm

No worries... I will try and update it to be in line with the new FAQ and Errata later.
    Kai
    Marshall

Post  Kai on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 pm

I made a marshal and command squad outa spare parts

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:29 pm